Monday, October 12, 2009

Was that love?

She was the most beautiful girl of my college- a gentle puff of breeze,a mesmerising appearance, a cinderella kind of being. Being a very straightforward and outspoken kind of guy I used to mingle with folks easily.But here in this case I found myself a little perplexed. My tounge turned stiff while trying to speak to her or I felt nervous.While discussing something in group I would often get derailed. She used to chuckle at my ideas. I would feel a little ashmed when I realised I had said something that was not at all relevant to the topic.

It had been three months since she took admission in the college. By now I had become a little comfortable with her but still often I used to stumble with words while talking. Tri-sem exams were round the corner and everybody was busy studying. Even I was putting my best effort to come out with flying colours. One day, it was afternoon when the sudden ringing of my cellphone had wakened me up from my siesta. I had stretched my hand from bed to take up the phone . It was a new number. I looked at the number for a few seconds and recived it finally.
"Am I talking to Advait", a mild voice emerged at the other end.
Yes, you are, I replied.
Oh, Advait!
Hi, this is Archana here.
Hi Archana ! How are you? I said.
I am good. Can you see me in library now? she asked
Yeah, sure.
Ok, I will be waiting for you.

Our hostel was few yards away from college main building. It was a very hot day.Sun was burning high. However, I put on some clothes and left for library. As it was afternoon only a few students were sitting here and there in liabrary . She was sitting alone at the other end of the readers' desk. She was looking outside through the window at pale leaves foliage beneath.
As I approached there I said as usual, Hi Archana!
She turned back and responded coldly. What were you looking at outside the window? I asked .
Advait, do you see those foliages?, she asked.
yes , I do. What is there in them?, I asked.
Once in their heyday they may have been green ,prancing , embracing and caressing branches , she added. Yes , they must have been. But why are you asking all these things, I replied.
Advait, my life is now just like those foliages. I am a forsaken and worn out girl . I have been dropped off , she continued. I couldn't understand what she is talking about at all initially but I could deduce from her face that she was very upset.Life is too strange , it makes even delicate and frail people painful.Even frail people are not any less; they too endow others with pain knowingly or unknowingly. But here an innocent looking girl was in grief and moaning untolerably.
Trying to console her I asked, What exactly can I do for you Archana? First you calm down buddy, will try to see to your prob with cool mind. Her eyes were turned red. I sat beside her . She rested her head on my shoulder and once again bursted in tears. I could feel the drops of tears falling on my shoulder wetting the shirt. Before others could see us and it became a scene I stood up holding her in my arm and pursuaded to move from there. We came out of the libraray ,stood for sometime in college premises till she had signalled me to sit on the parapet of a fountain there. I was getting late for gym still I sat with her to make her comfortable. Till now I didnt know what exactly had happened with her in past and she was very new to the college and I had a little interaction with her. This was the first time I had seen her face from close. I wanted to leave. For about ten minutes we kept sitting quiet and see was looking in blank. Finally I broke the silence and asked ,"Who have dropped you off ?" It's a very long storyAdvait,she replied sobbing.I thought you could listen me empathetically and I was feeling agitated from inside; Iwanted to weep bitterly before somebody to console myself this was the reason I called you. I troubled you unnecessarily Advait. You can go now Advait but promise me you will come whenever I would call you, she had muttered. I'll buddy I will. I left immediately.

The very next day I reached college as usual . I saw her standing in a corner right to college main building. She appeared a little calm and wearing a lousy face . I thought it better to slip away from there as once again could have caught me up and I really didnt want to start off my day with a negative annotation.


No comments:

Post a Comment